5/17/11

Blog #1: Social Network Privacy

         Social networking sites such as Facebook is a great website that allows us to add friends/users around the world, send out messages, share pictures and etc. It is also a great way to communicate with your friends and family all over the world without spending your money. Personally, I use Facebook as a bridge for communication with my friends and family back in my hometown and also get updates from my friends that I haven't seen for a long time.



         Recently, Facebook has just hit over 600 million users and it's still expanding. Having 600 million users on a site can scare us because we never know who's really behind that computer screen. Many of us are aware that Facebook can expose our information if we allow them, but there are privacy settings that can help us protect what we want to keep privately. Setting your personal information privately is the best action for you to do because you're protecting yourself from uninvited eyes such as stalkers and identity thieves. Identity thieves can easily steal your identity and use it for criminal purposes. They can also pretend to be like you and ruin your name. We should only post what we are willing to share with anyone, but still be cautious with what we do. Deleting little bits of information or any posts we made in the past will not make a difference because those information might have already been saved into someones computer. 
  
         My personal settings are currently set to “only me” and “friends only” so that I can protect myself from people that I don't know. These settings allows me to let my friends see what I post without worrying about people that aren't my friends from seeing my activities unless they send me a friend request. Also, remember that we shouldn't accept any friend requests from people that we don't know personally because this person might be a sexual predator, identity thief, stalker and etc.

       We can still have fun while using social networking sites, but we should still be cautious of what we do online just to keep ourselves safe from anything that might happen to us.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked your advices and opinions about Facebook. I like how you stated facts to support your opinions and your words were nicely chosen and sounded very professional. I like your tips on setting your privacy to "only me" and "friends only" because i know that there are very bad lurkers around the internet and we all need to be cautious about everything we put on the internet.

    ReplyDelete